Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Analect 2.551x



11 August 2009. Gray skies, even all across...

Coplas de carnaval--Tilcara, Salta, in the far northwest of Argentina. Verses at the time of Carnaval. A woman's voice, chanting. Steady beating of a drum...

Solita soy en el mundo
solita como el cardón
de noche me da la luna
media' me pega el sol...

El carnaval es un río
y andamos mojando la vida
los que seguimos creyendo
que la tristeza se olvida...

La naranja nació verde
el tiempo la maduró...
mi corazón nació libre
y el tuyo lo cautivó...

Las sabanas de mi cama
toda la noche las lavo
con lagrimas de mis ojos
al ver que me has olvidado...

Si me querés dímelo
y si no, dame veneno
que yo prefiero la muerte
que verte en brazos ajenos...

La pena y la que no pena
toda es pena para mi
Ayer penaba por verte
hoy pena' te vi...

* * *

I am all alone in the world
all alone like a cactus plant
in the night, lit by the moon
in the day, beaten by the sun...

Carnaval is like a river
we go along, getting our lives wet
those of us who continue believing
that sorrow can be forgotten...

The orange was born green
time made her ripe
my heart was born free
and yours made her a captive...

The sheets of my bed
all night long I soak them
with the tears from my eyes
on seeing that you have forgotten me...

If you do love me, tell me so
and if not, then give me poison
for I prefer death
to seeing you in the arms of another...

Pain and even the which isn't pain
all is pain for me
yesterday, I was paining to see you
and today, pained that I did...

No comments: